Several reasons must coincide for the estate of an institute founder, editor-in-chief, and architect to become a collection. Jürgen Joedicke had been at the University of Stuttgart since 1950 and earned his doctorate under Curt Siegel who taught building construction for architects and was involved in the construction of K1. After his habilitation in 1959, he sought to establish the first chair for theory and history of modern architecture in Germany which since 1964 was also promoted by Fritz Leonhardt at the level of the newly founded Science Council.
The collection includes diaries, extensive correspondence, manuscripts, and the slide library; competition documents, plans and photographs of models bear witness to the architect's work, of which the hospital for Nuremberg-Langwasser is particularly noteworthy. There is an extensive collection of special literature on this subject. Joedicke was closely networked as a chronicler of current architecture and construction to which his excellent contacts with internationally active publishers in Stuttgart and Zurich contributed.
The Joedicke Estate is officially a fonds of the University Archives of the University of Stuttgart and was listed as fonds SN 84 from 2018 to 2021 with funding from the Wüstenrot Foundation. The collection is housed at the Institute for Principles of Modern Architecture (Design and Theory), IgmA. Some archival materials have been digitized and are available in the "Digital Collections of the University Library," such as the diary of Joedicke’s trip to Mexico in 1968 with the accompanying slides or the typescript of the dissertation from 1953.
Use by appointment via both the secretary's office of the Institute for Principles of Modern Architecture (Design and Theory), IgmA, and the University Archives. On questions of indexing Dr. C. Vöhringer, Institute of Architectural History, ifag.